Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Reading is Never Out of Style!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Hye everyone \(^v^)/
Dem, lamak dah sik update blog. Neway, there were so many events taking place in my life so far, just dat I cudn't find a time to blog 'em out. So tis' is it...

...


I never love reading.
When I was a kid, ironically, I tell ppl dat my hobby is reading. Until one of my teacher asked, 
"Wat's the last book u read" I stumbled. 
Trying to recall all the buks I read, and I had none. All and all are just comics and magazines. So, my teacher sign me up to tis' book reading club - I was in primary 4 - so I start to develop tis' reading habit. Of course there's no serious reading, just a bunch of Enid Blyton books and some series name Bookworm (I remember I learnt the words DUMPLING, BANANA FRITTERS & GRAVY from those books), hahaha!

But when I was in primary 6, I moved to another school, and there goes my reading habit. I stop reading books, the entire year, I only borrow tis' one book from the Library which I haven't submit til now - I still remember the title 
"The House of a 100 Days", a horrow flick - probably because it's an examination year, so i was kinda hooked with all the extra classes and playing all the time. The not-reading habit I brought along together with me until my tertiary years. I remember, I only complete reading 1 book during my 3-college-years - The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. And from there, I start to realize the fact dat, I do love reading. I can finish a 300pages book in just a couple of days, if it's in Bahasa, it'll take shorter than dat.
Ever since, I start to read whenever I feel like reading, but I never push myself. So I end up reading to the least 1 book a year. Yeah, I know, I'm pathetic. For a postgrad stud like me, dat is considered ASHAME.  

So, I make myself a new resolution for 2011, apart from Diet & Having More Time with Family as my top priority, I put READING as my 2011 resolution.
So, Im glad to say that, I'm doing great now. 
I read more than I anticipate I wud.
I made a decision, I bought myself a Kindle (by Amazon). It cost me bout USD200 but it's all worth it. 
Of course, at first, I thot, yeah......... this probably is just a temporary excitement, but I need to strut my stuff and put my mind to it!

So, I got my Kindle on 23rd January 2011, (needless for me to say that the first 23 days of 2011, I DIDN'T READ a book....not a single book. Ahahah....)
I kinda slow in keeping up with my own resolution (hey don't judge me, u thugs!)
But after I start using it, I never turning back. 
Today is 22nd Feb, so I have been using my Kindle for a month now. 
And I'm glad to tell the world, I read MORE books now. 
In a month time, already I read about 7 books (about 300pages each) and looonnngggggg essays (not academic journal).
Okay, u might find tis entry as me flaunting my re-found-enlightenment, if so, I apologize.
But my real point is, it takes a lil' effort and some adjustment to change. 
It's not impossible. Reading takes effort, because it's a mental drill. It needs focus. It needs will-power.
But you don't have to be SKILLFUL to read. 
Reading's a brisk if u had had grasp the momentum. 
And if u put ur mind to it, and try to figure out a way to simplify the process, changes will realized eventually.

 So, about my KINDLE.



Kindle is an ebook reader. It is NOT an iPad look alike.

The screen is black & white, just like looking into a real paper, only crispier.

 
  1. All-New, High-Contrast E Ink Screen – 50% better contrast with latest E Ink Pearl technology
  2. Read in Bright Sunlight – No glare
  3. New and Improved Fonts – New crisper, darker fonts
  4. New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6" size reading area
  5. 17% Lighter – Only 8.5 ounces, weighs less than a paperback
  6. Battery Life of Up to One Month – A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
  7. Double the Storage – Up to 3,500 books
  8. Built-In Wi-Fi – Shop and download books in less than 60 seconds
  9. 20% Faster Page Turns – Seamless reading
  10. Enhanced PDF Reader – With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
  11. New WebKit-Based Browser – Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)

They claimed dat the battery will last up to a month if we turn-off the wi-fi, and last about 7 days with the wifi ON.
So, I tested it, my last fully charged was on 3rd Feb, and the battery start pop-up warning lastnight, 22nd Feb.
I turn on the wifi occasionally over that period of time, so, I must admit, that the battery is pretty awesome considering my quite extensive usage.

With Kindle, reading is no longer tedious. U don't have to hold your heavy book.Whenever u go travelling, you don't have to put a rest to ur reading. With the access to the internet, u can download millions of books and have it installed in ur Kindle. No need to buy all those smelly paper bag books. 
It's compact, scrolling's a breeze, page turning is FAST enough, no need for loading time cos the system is a not as complicated as a tablet pc. Turning off, turning on, sleep mode is easy. 
The most important thing is, it makes reading a lot fun and façon...!!!


Tis is Matt Ashkeroth
Reading is Never Out of Style

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

3 comments:

Fanzi Ruji said...

good for u. congrats!

N said...

nak pinjam? haha. btw, followed! :D

Unknown said...

happy for you :p

Post a Comment

Drop some comments ya! Jangan malu-malu.

Terima Kasih Daun Keladi . . . Y(^_^)Y . . .